Real Montana FAQs
In order to apply, applicants must:
- Earn a substantial percentage of their livelihood from natural resources or affiliated industries in Montana.
- Demonstrate the willingness and aptitude for long-term leadership in their community, state, and industry.
- Secure approval from employers to take the required time of approximately 19 days during Year One and 22 days during Year Two. Self-employed individuals must be able to be away from their enterprises for the necessary amount of time.
Applications from spouses and siblings will not be accepted for the same class.
*An important test of qualification is the applicant’s current and future commitment to the natural resource industries in Montana.
The REAL Montana Advisory Board expects each participant to fulfill the following four commitments:
- Attend all seminars and travel
- Assume leadership responsibility
- Participate in post-graduate leadership activities
- Assist in the continuance of REAL Montana for future classes
Please review the Participant Commitment Statement. All candidates are asked to sign this statement upon acceptance into the program.
The value of the fellowship awarded to each participant is approximately $13,000. This includes double occupancy lodging, meals, and tours for seminars as well as airfare to the national and international study seminars.
Participants are encouraged to seek scholarship assistance from employers and affiliated industry groups.